Thinlabs University (A-M)
You may see or hear a bunch of techno-jargon thrown around in the midst of your emails and telephone conversations with Thinlabs representatives - here is a list of some key terms and simple definitions in English that you can understand (A thru M - updated periodically). If you want a more technical explanation, click on the links where available.
- All-In-One - a system in which a computer case and system components are integrated into the monitor so that an entire computer is contained in one unit
- Certification Sticker - a silver sticker on the back of Thinlabs systems indicating serial number, model number, certifications, input power / voltage required, and applicable warnings
- Cloud Computing - storing and accessing data and programs over the Internet instead of your computer's hard drive; files and programs are hosted by a service provider
- COA (acronym for Certificate of Authenticity) - a small license sticker provided by Microsoft allowing for use of Windows software on the computer for which it is installed
- Conformal Coating - protective covering applied to Thinlabs Industrial systems that provides extra protection from heat, dust and humidity
- Dual Core - type of motherboard that has two central processing units (or CPUs) in its core
- Enhanced Write Filter (abbreviated EWF) - a write-protection security utility available in Thinlabs software that prevents unauthorized system changes
- Flash (associated terms include Solid State Drive [SSD], Hard Disk Drive [HDD], mSATA or Disk On Module [DOM]) - your system’s storage - it’s needed in order to save files, install programs, etc.
- Inverter - (newer systems use an LED Driver) - an internal system part that is the power behind the video - if this doesn’t work, you’ll never see anything on screen - you may hear the system working properly even though it doesn’t work
- IP65 Compliant - an International standard indicating complete protection against dust and other non-corrosive materials, plus offers enclosure protection from nozzle-projected water in any direction
- IPC - a type of motherboard designed with premium materials meeting industry-accepted standards for long-lasting use in tough industrial environments
- LVDS - low voltage video standard by which Thinlabs LCDs and LEDs operate; require significantly less power than standard screens; often used for high speed graphics
- MAC Address (also referred to as MAC ID, Hardware Address or Physical Address) - a unique IEEE network identifier assigned to a specific network hardware interface
- Memory - (Random Access Memory [RAM] or Small Outline Disk In-Line Memory Module [SO-DIMM] are associated with this) - an ever-changing chalkboard of information where computer instructions and data are continually written to and erased so your system can function properly. New Thinlabs systems come standard with DDR3 Memory.
- Motherboard - the main engine behind the system - controls all of the system functions - if the motherboard doesn’t work, nothing’s working
Thinlabs University continues on the next page - Thinlabs University (N - Z).